Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Made For Monday....Union Soldier

 So Monday came and went with a holiday, so I'm a little late with this post, but with good reason.  Our weekend included a special "double digit" birthday!
My Kate turned 10!
And that birthday included an Amazing Race Game around the neighborhood with friends.
And there was a LOT of swimming with LOTS of friends!
So it's Wednesday and I"m catching up....
*I only do custom orders like this for dear friends who are local
 A couple weeks ago.....I got a text from a friend's son that read:
"Hey it's *******!  I need a costume made for a project and was wondering if you could make it for me.  Dad would pay you!"  I was laughing so hard, I had to text his mom and tell her how sweet her 14 year old is.  Mom informed me Dad would need a quote first:)
He needed a Union Soldier Costume for a reenactment video he did with classmates.This was the design that we settled on for inspiration.  Difficult to wing a pattern, but I was luck enough to have  friend that had a similar costume jacket pattern and I got started.  I had to adjust the collar and the front opening, but otherwise the pattern worked good.  
The entire jacket is lined and I put interfacing in it as well to help it hold shape since he wanted a really light weight fabric.  It's hot in Texas already, y'all! I think it worked well to make the jacket appear to be "thicker" like the wool that they would have been made out from.
Hand stitched some braiding onto the sleeves to make them pop.
Dull brass buttons to finish it off.

I was pretty pleased and so was this young man.  In the end, this young man picked the way he wanted the uniform to look and paid for it HIMSELF!  So glad that parents are teaching their children the value of money and responsibility at such a young age.

How'd I do?

*Confession: I am no good at button holes and had to ask a very dear friend to help me out.....maybe she can give me lessons on button holes this summer.

Happy Wednesday, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, so leave me a comment: